Koumbit is recruiting a finance and administrative coordinator at 15 hours/week to start and increasing to 25hrs/week. The hourly rate is $21, and the position will start end of May 2018. Applications are due May 14th, 2018.
About working at Koumbit
Koumbit has developed and hosted websites for local and international non-profits since 2004. We maintain physical and virtual servers, hosting platforms, network infrastructure. We provide services in visual design, user experience, Drupal and WordPress and strategic web consulting. Koumbit is based around openness and equality: workers are specialized in open source technology and are organized non-hierarchically. Koumbit employees set their own work schedule and participate in the consensus-based decision making process of the group.
Koumbit is guided by principles of «Coopérative de travail» and the participatory economy. All workers receive equal wage and decide collaboratively on the direction of the company and the reinvestment of all profits of the organization. We operate generally by consensus where all members-workers have the same speaking rights and decision-making powers. We expect members-workers get involved actively and creatively in the development of the organization.
We are looking for someone interested in taking accounting tasks as well as participate in democratic life and organization management. A good candidate is a person with good social skills, interested in getting involved in technical but also non-technical work.
Training and /or work experience related to the position
- Mastering or understanding of the accounting cycle, bookkeeping
- Managing budgets
- Administration of various files
- Customer service
- Control office software: spreadsheet and word processing
- Have a strong interest or experience in non-hierarchical democratic structures
- Be methodical and systematic in applying established procedures
- Customer service experience
- Be thorough, hardworking, and persistent toward customers
- Be at ease communcating directly with the customers
- Be able to assume and honor one's commitments autonomously
- Adhere to the values of the organization: self-management, openness, solidarity. For more detail see https://www.koumbit.org/en/values
- Have a good ability to adapt
- Be ready to engage in an honest, professional, and solidary work environment
- Have experience in the use of free software (Debian, LibreOffice, ...) is an asset
- Prior experience in collective environments
- Take into account the interest of the collective in it's decisions
- Capacity to learn technologies and new tasks autonomously
- Good time management & ability to prioritise tasks
- Show discernment in which issues may or may not be raised at meetings
- Interest in being involved in other committees (eg. human resources, social life, finance, legal, etc.) and participating in collective tasks such as cleaning and watering plants
What you'll do
The person hired will gradually share the following with the other member of the accounting team:
- Validate and complete bills made by the workers and send them to customers
- Ensure regular billing with workers
- Keep a tight following with customers with overdue accounts (perception) and of solidarity accounts
- Enter Paypal and Desjardins payments in our accounting software
- Update and givens bi-monthly accounting reports to the collective
- Record and follow-up with clients accounts: opening, billing, and closure
- Work with the chartered accountant towards the annual financial statements
- Work with the teams to prepare the annual budget
- Complete and file documents for various government agencies (eg. taxes, tax records, forms, CSST, registrar business, etc.)
- Pay suppliers
- Do bank reconciliation
- Prepare bank deposits
- Process payroll for the freelancers and workers
The mandate to accounting team:
- Manage all the routine tasks of accounting (above tasks)
- Organize the financial comitee meetings once a month
- Improve accounting practices (drafting procedures, workers out of training, etc.)
Some things we think you should know
- Koumbit provides workstations for use in our office.
- Sadly, our office is not wheelchair accessible.
- Availability at Koumbit office at least half of the hours is expected.
Koumbit recognizes and appreciates the contributions of people who identify with groups under-represented or marginalized in our areas of expertise and in our society. We particularly encourage applications from those who identify with these groups, including but not limited to women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, recent immigrants, and queer and trans people.
If this position interests you, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, May 14, 2018. We thank all those who take the time to respond to this offer job, but we will only contact those selected for an interview.
15 hours / week; Salary: 21$ / hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 14th, 2018
Start Date: May 28, 2018 ideally
Contract Period: Indeterminate (3 months probation at start)