The position starts at 20 hours per week, with the possibility of increasing your hours. The hourly rate is $21, and the position will start at the beginning of December 2017. Applications are due November 27, 2017.
About working at Koumbit
Koumbit has developed websites for local and international non-profits since 2004. We provide services in visual design, user experience, Drupal and WordPress custom module development and theming, HTML/CSS, hosting, and strategic web consulting. Founded on principles of openness and equality, we specialize in free software and are organized as a non-hierarchical collective. Koumbit employees set their own work schedule and participate in the consensus-based decision making process of the group. They earn a common salary of $21.00 per hour.
What you'll do
- Work with clients and colleagues to plan, structure and execute web development projects
- Manage an entire project (we're willing to help you get comfortable doing this - and if you've done this as a freelancer, let us know)
- Communicate with clients and team members to get what you need in order to understand the work and do it well
- Work with designers and integrators to ensure that designs are feasible and useable
- Analyse client briefs/RFPs and estimate necessary development tasks
- Build, configure, and support websites made with Drupal or WordPress (we're willing to train the right candidate to adapt their skills to these CMSs, but experience in at least one of these CMSs is necessary)
- Participate in the open, fun, socially engaged atmosphere of our office
- Participate in 2 to 3 team meetings per month (required) and other instances of collective decision-making (as desired)
- Take on additional tasks that interest you and meet the needs of the collective (examples: write a blog post, prepare an invoice, water the plants, coordinate a meeting)
Technical skills and qualifications you'll need
- Experience as a site builder using Drupal and/or WordPress
- Ability to work well independently:
- A desire to take ownership over tasks
- A commitment to problem solving
- The ability to effectively communicate about actionable tasks
- Strong motivation to ask for help and feedback as needed to produce results
- A high level of written and spoken French, an ability to understand and express yourself in English
- Ability to provide training and support to clients with varying levels of technical expertise
- Project management skills:
- Ability to discern what's needed to solve a problem, and to get things done by being creative and resourceful
- A willingness to create concrete plans from vague client briefs, in collaboration with clients and coworkers
- Comfort communicating with clients in person, over email, and in conference calls
- Experience or knowledge of PHP and/or MySQL, or with similar languages, and/or a desire to learn
- Comfortable in a Linux-based development environment, and using a source code version control system, or willingness to learn
- Available to work from our office in Centre-Sud for at least two thirds of their hours
- Experience and demonstrated interest in working with the non-profit & community sector, and in working with free & open source software
- A willingness to work in a collective environment and take on other, non-technical tasks to help our collective thrive (such as invoicing, human resources management and other administrative decision-making, and your share of office cleaning)
- A desire to share your skills and knowledge, and to learn from your co-workers
- Ability to participate in collective decision-making, including expressing your opinion and thinking critically about the way our collective works
Some things we think you should know
- The position starts at 20 hours per week, with the possibility of increasing your hours. The hourly rate is $21, and the position will start at the beginning of December 2017.
- Koumbit provides workstations for use in our office, but having your own laptop for client meetings would be helpful.
- Sadly, our office is not currently wheelchair accessible. Our office is accessed at the front via 1 step, and at the back without a step. However the bathroom is down 11 stairs in the basement and is not wheelchair accessible.
- Koumbit recognizes and appreciates the contributions of people who identify with groups under-represented or marginalized in our areas of expertise and in our society. We particularly encourage applications from those who identify with these groups, including but not limited to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, recent immigrants, and queer and trans people.
If this position interests you, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 26th 2017. We thank everyone who takes the time to respond to this job ad, but we'll only contact people we select for an interview.