Koumbit is looking to hire two new members of our systems administration and infrastructure team at 25 hours per week. The current hourly rate is $21 (an increase is planned in the short-term), with an expected starting date in beginning of September 2022, with some flexibility.
This hiring process will prioritize candidates who are socially excluded and marginalized in the domain of systems administration, open source technologies, and technology more generally, particularly women and those who do not identify as men. Koumbit encourages applications from disabled people, racialized people, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people, recent immigrants, women, and queer and trans people. If you experience discrimination or barriers to employment for any reasons and you want us be aware of that during the hiring process, please don't hesitate to mention it in your application.
- Ability to work autonomously and learn new technologies and methods of working.
- Good time and priority management skills.
- Profile in project management and sales;
- Good communication skills: with team members, other collective members, and clients.
- Ability to communicate orally and by writing in both French and English.
- Proficiency in technical support: problem analysis and resolution;
- Some knowledge of GNU/Linux and the command line is required;
- Familiarity with HTTP, SSL, SMTP, or IMAP.
- Basic experience in programming (particularly in Bash, PHP, or Python scripting).
- Ability to work in a constructive fashion inside a horizontally structured collective:
- Demonstrate openness, empathy, ability to listen, and active non-violent communication;
- Be aware of power dynamics related to systems of oppression (racism, sexism, etc.) and their consequences in group relationships;
- Have a strong interest in non-hierarchical democratic structures;
- Self reflection and ability to question ones own practices;
- Take collective interests into account in ones own decisions;
- Share the values of Koumbit: self-management, openness, and solidarity. For more information, see https://wiki.koumbit.net/PrincipesEtValeurs (in French).
- Many new members of the systems administration and infrastructure team do not already have developped experiences in systems administration, and we will provide training on the job for most tasks and required skills.
- A lot of work will be done in collaboration with other members of Koumbit and you will need to take on challenges and tasks you may not have faced before, and ask for help when needed.
When starting at Koumbit, your work will consist of tasks which require less access and knowledge of our systems and infrastructure.
Project and client management:
- Receive, interpret, clarify, and prioritise client requests with the goal of meeting the needs of the client.
- Re-evaluate needs as projects and requirements evolve.
- Write quotes, sale propositions and bills.
Useful tools to know for project and client management:
- Redmine, RT, or other project management software.
- Manage web applications such as Aegir, Drupal, WordPress, and AlternC.
- Document and plan service interventions and improvements.
Participate in collective management:
- meetings, cleaning, involvement in one or more committees, etc.
- Respond to level 1 support requests from clients and colleagues:
- Reproduce or validate the problems encountered;
- Follow up with clients, stakeholders, and service managers;
- Follow and update online documentation.
- Creation and management of accounts for users.
- Participate as needed in data center interventions.
- Diagnose unexpected software and service behaviours.
Useful tools to know for systems administration:
- Debian GNU/Linux, Puppet, Ganeti, PHP, Apache, MySQL, NFS, Postfix, Dovecot, Bash, AlternC, Git, OpenSSH, Mail user agents (eg. Thunderbird).
Long term tasks
- Perform maintenance and upgrade operations of softwares and services.
- Help manage our fleet of servers and equipment (principally Debian GNU/Linux).
- Respond to emergency alerts outside office hours.
- Participate in the on-call rotation to answer urgent requests outside office hours.
Skills and knowledge to develop (we expect the new team member to acquire these abilities during their time at Koumbit)::
- Free software service management.
- Systems administration and technical support.
- Facilitating meetings, note taking, and collective organisation and coordination.
- Work at Koumbit's office in the Centre-Sud of Montréal, with the possibility (in normal non-pandemic circumstances, it is possible to work remotely for up to 1/3 of your hours).
- We expect candidates to adhere to https://wiki.koumbit.net/CodeÉthique and https://wiki.koumbit.net/PrincipesEtValeurs
- Koumbit provides workstations for use in our office; however, it may be useful to bring a laptop for client meetings or if you prefer to work on your machine instead of the desktop provided at the office.
- Sadly, our office is not wheelchair accessible (the front door has two steps to get in our office, and the washroom is located down a flight of ~10 stairs).
- Koumbit recognizes and appreciates the contributions of people who identify with groups under-represented or marginalized in our areas of expertise and in our society. We particularly encourage applications from those who identify with these groups, including but not limited to women, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people, visible minorities, recent immigrants, and queer and trans people.
- Sign a work contract and agreement of confidentiality and authorship.
If this position interests you, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 2nd 2022 at 9:00 am. If you weren't able to apply in time but are interested, feel free to reach out anyways and we'll be happy to consider your application. We thank all those who take the time to respond to this offer, but we will only contact those selected for an interview.