Koumbit is looking to hire a new member of our web development team at 20 hours per week. The hourly rate is $21, with an expected starting date in late october 2020, with some flexibility. If this position interests you, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am October 11th 2020. Only applications that include a cover letter will be considered. The best cover letters will tell us why you are motivated to work at Koumbit.
This hiring process will prioritise candidates who are socially excluded and marginalized in the domain of technology more generally, particularly trans, non-binary people, and women. Koumbit encourages applications from disabled people, racialized people, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people, recent migrants, queer people, and formerly incarcerated people. If you experience discrimination or barriers to employment for other reasons and you want us to be aware of that during the hiring process, please don't hesitate to mention it in your application.
About working at Koumbit
Koumbit is a collective that has developed websites for local and international non-profits since 2004. We provide services in visual design, user experience, Drupal and WordPress custom module development and theming, HTML/CSS, hosting, and strategic web consulting. Founded on principles of openness and equality, we specialize in free software and are organized as a non-hierarchical collective. Koumbit employees set their own work schedule and participate in the consensus-based decision making process of the group.
What you'll do
- Work with clients and colleagues to plan, structure and execute web development projects
- Communicate with clients and team members to understand project requirements, and identify and implement solutions
- Build, configure, and support websites made with Drupal, Backdrop CMS, or WordPress (we're willing to train the right candidate to adapt their skills to these CMSs, but experience in at least one of these CMSs or a similar one is necessary)
- Manage development projects: plan and organize work, communicate and facilitate client meetings, prepare estimates and contracts, be aware of hours remaining on the contract, etc (project management is a shared role on our team - training may be provided)
- Analyze and solve issues (bugs) on existing websites running on Drupal or WordPress. Analyze and adjust existing code.
- Analyse client briefs/RFPs and prepare estimates for necessary development tasks
- Work in a Linux-based development environment using free & open source software, and a source code version control system (training may be provided)
- Work at Koumbit's office in the Centre-Sud neighbourhood of Montréal (in normal non-pandemic circumstances, it is possible to work remotely for up to 1/3 of your hours)
- Work with organizations in the non-profit & community sector
- Participate in the open, fun, socially engaged atmosphere of our office
- Participate actively in 2 to 3 team meetings per month (required), internal projects, and other instances of collective decision-making. Eventually take on facilitation, coordination, and note taking tasks for these meetings.
- Take on additional tasks that interest you and meet the needs of the collective (examples: write a blog post, prepare an invoice, water the plants, coordinate a meeting)
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience building websites using Drupal, Backdrop CMS, and/or WordPress
- Have interest and motivation to learn more about the configuration of different CMSs and the functioning of web servers
- Independent, capable of organizing your own tasks and managing your time, takes initiative and is proactive and communicative
- Curiosity and motivation to learn and develop your technical skills
- Problem solving
- Strong motivation to ask for help and feedback as needed to produce results
- Able to wear many different hats, to multitask, to be involved in all aspects of the web team's work (bug squashing, technical support, site building, analysis and adjustment of existing code, client communication, internal collective work)
- A high level of written and spoken French, an ability to understand and express yourself in English
- Ability to provide training and support to clients with varying levels of technical expertise
- Motivated to do coordination and client communication
- High capacity and enthusiasm for working in a collective and taking charge of non-technical tasks necessary to the smooth functioning of the collective (such as billing, human resources management and administrative decisions, as well as your portion of the cleaning!)
- Project management skills:
- Ability to discern what's needed to solve a problem, and to get things done by being creative and resourceful
- Create concrete plans from vague client briefs, in collaboration with clients and coworkers
- Comfort communicating with clients in person, over email, and in conference calls
- Experience with site migration between different CMS (Drupal 7 -> Drupal 8, Drupal -> WordPress, etc.)
- Experience and/or interest in the non-profit and/or community sector
- Enthusiasm for working as a collective, and taking on other, non-technical tasks to help our collective thrive (such as invoicing, human resources management and other administrative decision-making, and your share of office cleaning)
- A desire to share your skills and knowledge, and to learn from your co-workers
- Experience with external communication and promotion ("outreach")
- Ability to participate in collective decision-making, including expressing your opinion and thinking critically about the way our collective works
Some things we think you should know
- The position starts at 20 hours per week, with the possibility of adjusting hours as needed. The hourly rate is $21.
- The person should be available in mid/late October 2020 for an interview via videocall.
- The position will begin in late October 2020, with some flexibility.
- Koumbit provides workstations for use in our office, but having your own laptop for client meetings would be helpful. What's more, the majority of our collective is currently working from home due to the pandemic. It will be useful to have your own setup for remote work as well.
- Unfortunately, our office is not currently wheelchair accessible. Our office is accessed at the front via 1 step, and at the back without a step. However the bathroom is down 11 stairs in the basement and is not wheelchair accessible.
- This hiring process will prioritise candidates who are socially excluded and marginalized in the domain of technology more generally, particularly trans, non-binary people, and women. Koumbit encourages applications from disabled people, racialized people, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people, recent migrants, queer people, and formerly incarcerated people. If you experience discrimination or barriers to employment for other reasons and you want us to be aware of that during the hiring process, please don't hesitate to mention it in your application.
- This position is offered with the support of the Canada Summer Jobs program.
If this position interests you, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to email@example.com by October 11th 2020. We thank everyone who takes the time to respond to this job ad, but we'll only contact people we select for an interview.