Koumbit is looking to hire a new member of our accounting and administration team at 15 hours per week. The hourly rate is $21, with an expected starting date in January 2020, with some flexibility. If this position interests you, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to email@example.com by 10am November 20th.
This hiring process will prioritise candidates who are socially excluded and marginalized in the domain of technology more generally, particularly trans, non-binary people, and women. Koumbit encourages applications from disabled people, racialized people, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people, recent migrants, queer people, and formerly incarcerated people. If you experience discrimination or barriers to employment for other reasons and you want us to be aware of that during the hiring process, please don't hesitate to mention it in your application.
About working at Koumbit
Koumbit has developed and hosted websites for local and international non-profits since 2004. We maintain physical and virtual servers, hosting platforms, and network infrastructure. We provide services in visual design, user experience, custom Drupal and WordPress module development, and strategic web consulting. Koumbit is based around openness and equality: workers are specialized in open source technology and are organized non-hierarchically. Koumbit employees set their own work schedule and participate in the consensus-based decision making process of the group.
We are looking for someone interested in taking on client relationship, funding, and administrative tasks, as well as participate in democratic life and organization management. A good candidate is a person with good social skills, interested in getting involved in technical but also non-technical work.
Koumbit is guided by principles of worker cooperatives and the participatory economy. All workers receive an equal wage and decide collaboratively on the direction of the company and the reinvestment of all profits of the organization. We operate generally by consensus where all members/workers have the same speaking rights and decision-making powers. We expect members/workers get involved actively and creatively in the development of the organization.
- Strong skills in oral and written communication in French and English
- Profile in communication, project management and sales
- Ability to work in a constructive fashion inside a horizontally structured collective:
- Demonstrate openness, empathy, ability to listen, and active non-violent communication
- Be aware of power dynamics related to systems of oppression (racism, sexism, etc.) and their consequences in group relationships
- Have a strong interest in non-hierarchical democratic structures
- Self reflection and ability to question ones own practices
- Take collective interests into account in ones own decisions
- Share the values of Koumbit: self-management, openness, and solidarity. For more information, see https://wiki.koumbit.net/PrincipesEtValeurs (in French)
- Ability to work autonomously
- Good time and priority management skills
- Good communication skills: with team members, other collective members, and clients
- Experience with writing grant/funding requests is a big asset
- A lot of work will be done in collaboration with other members of Koumbit and you will need to take on challenges and tasks you may not have faced before, and ask for help when neeeded.
- Finding new funding sources and writing grant applications
- Communications and client relations (collections, negotiating payment agreements, improvement of client communication strategies)
- Preparation and carrying out of proactive sales strategies (participation in Koumbit's sales comittee, in external events, and preparation/diffusion of publicity material)
- Coordination and collaboration with the other member of the accounting and administration team
- Participation in the collective management of Koumbit:
- Meetings (collective and commitee) and decision making
- Committee participation (including the comité bureau and the comité ventes)
- Cleaning/office upkeep (we share this work collectively!)
- Administrative tasks: other internal administration
- Light accounting tasks
- Possibility of doing project management work for client with both web development and infrastructure teams.
- Work at Koumbit's office in the Centre-Sud of Montréal, with the possibility of working remotely for up to 1/3 of your hours
- We expect candidates to adhere to https://wiki.koumbit.net/PrincipesEtValeurs (in French)
- Koumbit provides workstations for use in our office; however, it may be useful to bring a laptop for some meetings
- Working proficiency in French is necessary to function in the collective
- Sadly, our office is not wheelchair accessible.
- This hiring process will prioritise candidates who are socially excluded and marginalized in the domain of technology more generally, particularly trans, non-binary people, and women. Koumbit encourages applications from disabled people, racialized people, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people, recent migrants, queer people, and formerly incarcerated people. If you experience discrimination or barriers to employment for other reasons and you want us be aware of that during the hiring process, please don't hesitate to mention it in your application.
- Sign a work contract and agreement of confidentiality and authorship
If this position interests you, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am November 20th. We thank all those who take the time to respond to this offer job, but we will only contact those selected for an interview.